International students

Do you doubt whether your studies are still right for you? Or have you already dropped out? Are you stuck? Then we are your central contact point!

The Queraufstieg advisory network (Beratungsnetzwerk Queraufstieg) gives you information, orientation and inspiration on how you can continue. Discover your strengths and the career path that suits you best – whether it’s a degree course or an apprenticeship. Free counselling centers are there to help you. Find the right counselling service for all your questions in Berlin, Brandenburg, Saxony-Anhalt or Lower Saxony. Start your reorientation now: Stop waiting and get counselling! In our videos you get an impression of what we do:

Are you an international student having problems with your studies? Have you fled your home country and are wondering how to continue your education? The education system in Germany offers many different paths to success!

Many counselling institutions and universities offer special services for international students and refugees. They will help you with your orientation and questions about your stay/residence.

Here you can find:

Context of residence law

The residence of immigrants in Germany is regulated by the Residence Act. In most cases, persons from abroad (not from the EU and the European Economic Area) receive a residence title, i.e. a kind of identity document for the time in Germany. An overview of all residence titles is provided by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.

The residence title not only indicates how long you are allowed to stay in Germany. It also determines whether you are allowed to study, work or do a vocational training. A residence title is always issued for a specific purpose (e.g. study, work, family reunification) and the permit to stay in Germany is then tied to this purpose. Which residence title you have also depends on your nationality.

Current information for refugees from Ukraine: Information and further links on social benefits for refugees from Ukraine can be found at the Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training and at the Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs.